Melbourne Times Dates & Content
Melbourne Course Content Times & Dates - Session by Session
5 Month Film School Starts Thursday 8th September 2022
At the end of 5 Months, you will have worked on and created a 10 – 12 minute movie
1 Thursday 8th September 2022 – 6.30pm – 9.30pm Sean Smith – Colm O’Murchu
- Introductions of the People on the Course and Teachers
- The Film Production and the excitement of producing and making the film.
- 5 Months From tonight to completion of the Film.
- How to format a script – this is an essential so as to present a professional script, when you make your own films
- Which Software to use and how to get it for Free saving you $200
- How to become good at writing screenplays and what you have to do
- The Film Shots and what they are called – this is essential for the Film Director to understand.
2 Thursday 22nd September 2022 6.30pm – 9.30pm Creating the story:
Story Invention Workshop. In this session we create the Story for the Film Production. The teacher will show you exactly how to create a story that grabs your audience.
⇀ Story Ideas Brainstorm
⇀ Plot the story-the key plot points
⇀ We demonstrate how to write a short film using the Improv Technique ⇀
⇀ Three Dimensional Character Creation
⇀ High Stakes Objectives
⇀ Adding Conflict to your story
Result: By 9.30pm we will have developed an eight to ten minute short film story.
Voluntary Homework: Write the first draft script of the story.
Over the years we have found the results of the above techniques have produced a strong short film story for emerging or beginner filmmakers.
After class drinks Social at a local venue (Allow $5 for a drink). This is voluntary and intended to help the group bond and allow you to talk film with your new team!
3 Thursday 29th September : 6.30pm – 9.30pm Mechanics of a Film Scene and Film Equipment.
In this session everyone will be introduced to the mechanics of a film scene and film equipment. You will use the camera to shoot a scene, getting to feel how it works and what is needed for a Professional Shoot.
- ⇀ The dynamics of a scene. Shots & coverage, crew setup, the ‘Master Shot’ and directing your actors.
- ⇀ Introduction to the’calls’ of a professional film crew
- ⇀ Camera Equipment: Play with the 4K Blackmagic URSA mini Camera with Professional Rig including
- ⇀ Matte Box and A-B Hard Stop Follow Focus and lenses.
- ⇀ Lighting Equipment: Lights, Gels, Spun Reflectors and Scrims
- ⇀ Professional Sound Equipment: Lapel Microphone, Shotgun Microphone with Boom Pole and Pistol Grip
- ⇀Result: By the end of the session, you will have a foundation for using film equipment and how to use it to shoot a scene.
4 Thursday 6th October 6.30pm – 9.30pm Camera Department Basics:
Tonight you will learn how to operate a Professional Camera and be part of a Camera Department, including:
⇀ Camera basics (AFEW-Aperture, Focus, Exposure, White Balance) ⇀ How to balance a Fluid Head Tripod
⇀ How to focus effectively using Focus Chart and pull focus
⇀ How to check exposure⇀ How to compose/frame your shots
⇀ Camera movement: Tilt & Pan using a tripod
⇀ Camera movement: Handheld with a shoulder rig
⇀ When to use Prime Lenses and when to use Zoom Lens. The Session will end with Shooting an Interview with 3 different Camera Shot
5 Thursday 13th October 6.30pm – 9.30pm Sound Equipment and How to Use it and Shooting a Scene
6.30pm 7.30pm Script selection & Casting setup
At the start of class the successful script will be announced. From here we will discuss the characters in the script and set up a casting call.
⇀ How to set up a casting call:
⇀ We show you how we get the best Actors into the Casting session
7.30pm 9.30pm Sound Department
The Sound Session: Learning how to use Professional Sound Equipment on location, including: ⇀ Sound basics⇀ Shotgun Microphone & Boompole
⇀ Wind Sock
⇀ Wireless Transmitters and Receivers with Lapel Microphones
⇀ XLR Inputs on the Camera
⇀ Setting the right sound levels and monitor in sound on set
The Session ends with shooting a scene focusing on correctly recording sound, including static subject dialogue and moving subjects
6 Thursday 20th October 6.30pm – 9.30pm How to Light a Film Set and Film Lighting
The Lighting Session: Learning how to use professional lighting and gaffer equipment to light your scenes.
⇀ Basics of film lighting (3,2,1 point lighting and effects)
⇀ Lighting for exposure vs lighting for mood & effect
⇀ Using natural light
⇀ Lighting with set lights: Dedolights, Fresnels, LEDs and Redheads
⇀ Using Gels& Diffusion with lights
We will experiment with lighting different scenes trying to create different looks and moods just by changing the lighting setup.
PRE PRODUCTION – PREPARING THE SHOOT FOR THE COURSE MOVIE
7 Thursday 27th October 6.30pm – 9.30pm Casting Night:.
Tonight we have a real live Casting with real actors.
You will get to:
- ⇀ Learn the process of casting actors professionally
- ⇀ Set up the Lights and Camera for casting.
- ⇀ Camera operators will be rotated throughout the night
- ⇀ Actors should be scheduled for 10 minutes slots
- ⇀ You will direct the actors during their audition, assisting them to provide their best performance.
Result: You will learn how to cast a film effectively by doing it for real for your short film. This is a favourite session for many students as it is the first opportunity in the course to direct actors and see the characters come to life.
8 Thursday 3rd November 6.30pm – 9.30pm Preproduction
Tonight you will learn all about preproduction for a film shoot and locking in the final logistical and production elements to ensure a successful shoot. Shoot location sourcing, selection and finalisation
⇀ Wardrobe, props and set dressing
⇀ How to prepare a schedule and a Call Sheet
⇀ Working with actors and how to provide effective direction
⇀ Confirm actors are booked for rehearsal session
9 Thursday Night 10th November – 6.30pm – 9.30pm – Directing Actors. – The Full Breakdown
Tonight’s focus is firmly placed on working with actors.
Actor Blocking and how it will determine the shot list.
- Top 10 Tips for working with actors on set.
- How to direct Actors effectively when you are starting out.
Part Two Rehearsals with the actual actors cast for the film.
Actors for the Short film will arrive at 7.30pm
- Costumes for the actors finalised.
- Rehearsals with the actors How to rehearse
- Learn by rehearsing with the Actors
10 Saturday 19th November 10am – 3pm Practical Saturday
READY STEADY GO: Film Equipment Final Training Bootcamp
This is a Saturday session designed to give you further practice with the camera, lighting and sound equipment to ensure you are “set-ready” and the crew works as a well oiled machine.
11 Tuesday 22nd November 6.30pm – 9.30pm
- ⇀ Final Shoot Preparations; How to prepare for shooting.
- ⇀ Direct or preparation: Shot listing and story boarding
- ⇀ Director preparation: Learning your scenes, understanding the motivation of your character sand preparing to direct your actors performances
- ⇀ Preproduction: Finalising remaining details such as: Locations, Extras, Props, Wardrobe, Set dressing
In addition to preparing to shoot, we will invite the core cast (actors) to attend a rehearsal session.This session will focus on assisting the actors in their preparation for the shoot and expose you to working with actors.
12 Saturday 26th November : 8am – 5pm THE SHOOT: Day One: 9 Hour Shooting Day
Film Shoots are on Location: Locations can be a shop or hotel or park or any variable of a film location. This is a very exciting day where one is on a real shoot and real filmThe Film Shoot Day 1–On Location. Today you will work as a crew member. Every person revolves through the crew roles over the 3 shooting days.
Revolving Crew roles you will take on:
- Focus Puller
- Sound Recordist
- Production Runner/ A
Learn to Edit on Adobe Premiere Pro
13 Tuesday 29th November 6.30 pm – 9.30pm Edit Session
You will learn to edit and make your film into a film by actually editing in class the film. You learn to edit the movie, on Adobe Premiere Pro.
We currently have a video tutorial series of 11 tutorials, only available to people on the 5 Month Filmmaking School. One must use these tutorials with the editing course lessons and the footage from the film. This way you will edit the entire short film. Editing a short film takes time and enthusiasm to complete outside of class time.
Therefore it is voluntary section of the course and also the edit itself is a voluntary to complete.
Allow 20 – 30 voluntary hours over a month, to complete an edit outside of course time.
Please note that editing is a great skill to learn and there is so much work in the film and video business for talented editors. It also pays well.
You will need a Laptop or Desktop computer with a minimum of 8GB of Ram and the Adobe Premiere Pro Software available from Adobe.
Course content for the night:
- Review of shooting Day One.
- Adobe Premier Pro Set up
- How to prepare your Edit
- How to sync sound
- How to watch your footage
- How to edit a scene.
14 Saturday 3rd December 8am – 6pm SHOOT DAY TWO :
On Location: Set location – TBA Teacher: Sean Smith
⇀ Your second day working as a crew member on a real film.
⇀ Crew roles continue to rotate over the 3 shooting days.
15 Sunday 4th December 8am – 6pm SHOOT DAY 3
Today the Crew shoot visually on their own on Day 3. Your last day working as a crew member on the film. Crew roles continue to rotate for the final shoot day, but the crew will be running this shoot almost completely solo. This is 100% hands-on practical and everyone is required to help make the film. Sean Smith
16 Tuesday 13th December : 6.30pm – 9.30pm – Film editing Session 2 and Christmas Social
Continue to learn how to cut and make your film
- Learn today how to cut scenes for your film
- Learn how to effectively tell your story
- Everyone will learn via actually editing your film in the class live on Adobe Premier Pro.
- You learn by actually editing.
The Edit Challenge – 3 Week Challenge Edit the Film using our 10 Session Tutorials on Adobe Premier Pro over the next three weeks.
You can use the Holiday Break to edit the Film
17 Tuesday 24th January 2023 6.30pm – 9.30pm Colm O’Murchu Film Career and Opportunity
After your short Film is complete, how do you find the audience and how do you find work in the film business.
- Film Festivals and your strategy for entering
- What is the best site for Film Festivals
- Earning money on Stock Video Sites
- Where is the work in the film industry
- Your plan for getting work in the film industry
- Film Markets and how feature films are sold and make money.
18 Film editing Session 3 — Thursday 2nd February 2023 6.30pm – 9.30pm:
- Colouring your film and making it look great
19 Sound Post Thursday 9th February 2023 6.30pm – 9pm
Sound Post and Music mix Session This is what makes the difference between a good film and a great film and will make the difference between success and not succeeding.
- On this session you learn about the importance of Sound and how you can do your own sound design clean up and mix.
- Music for your film and how to get the best music easily and cheaply
20 SCREENING YOUR FILM , CERTIFICATES & FUTURE DIRECTIONS Thursday 16th February 7pm – 9pm: Final Session
- Screening of the Finished Movie
- Certificate Presentation
- Future Directions
At the end of 5 Months, you will have worked on and created a 10 – 12 minute movie
- We teach you, step by step, the process of scripting shooting casting and crewing and directing a 10 minute short film.
- You will also learn to edit and colour, source your music and finish your film professionally.
- You will learn the technical side of filmmaking, how to operate cameras and record professional location sound.
- You will know exactly what to do, to make your own personal film professionally, that will attract film festivals and will make you into a Film Director and Producer
- You will have ongoing support from Australian Film Base with after film course support, gear supply and shoot help and work opportunities.
AFTER THE FIVE MONTH FILM SCHOOL COMPLETES, SUPPORT STRUCTURES ARE AS FOLLOWS
- Indie Film Club Meetings after 5 Month Film School to network and find new film projects
- Numerous Film Productions that mushroom from Indie Film Club and Graduates.
- Personal Coaching – one on one to help you achieve your goals. ( Please inquire)
The Film Instructors Taught by Filmmakers for Future Filmmakers
Sean Smith is a fanatical Film Maker. His communication skills and teaching skills are of the highest calibre. He is currently in production on his own feature film. He teaches most of the course in Melbourne
Colm founded Australian Film Base in 1997 and has since taught emerging film makers to make professional films. Colm has guided and instructed over the years on 175 short films made With a wealth of film teaching and film making experience Colm O’Murchu is one of the very best film instructors.
5 Month Film School Price Request
You will receive the following by Email immediately
- Melbourne 5 Month Film School Fees / Prices
- 5 Month Film School Content, Session by Session
- Melbourne Times and Dates for Each Session Over 5 Months
- How to enrol Page
Your email is secure with us.
10am – 7pm Monday- Friday