Melbourne Course Content Times & Dates - Session by Session
UPDATED ON SEPTEMBER 2ND 2021
PRE PRODUCTION – PREPARING THE SHOOT FOR THE COURSE MOVIE
Wednesday 3rd November 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Casting Night: Tonight we have a real live Casting with real actors. You will get to:
- ⇀ Learn the process of casting actors professionally
- ⇀ Set up the Lights and Camera for casting.
- ⇀ Camera operators will be rotated throughout the night
- ⇀ Actors should be scheduled for 10 minutes slots
- ⇀ You will direct the actors during their audition, assisting them to provide their best performance.
Result: You will learn how to cast a film effectively by doing it for real for your short film. This is a favourite session for many students as it is the first opportunity in the course to direct actors and see the characters come to life.
Saturday 6th November 10am – 3pm Practical Saturday
Being set ready & rehearsals:
This is a Saturday session designed to give you further practice with the camera, lighting and sound equipment to ensure you are “set-ready” and the crew works as a well oiled machine.
Tuesday 9th November 6.30pm – 9.30pm
- ⇀ Final Shoot Preparations; How to prepare for shooting.
- ⇀ Direct or preparation: Shot listing and story boarding
- ⇀ Director preparation: Learning your scenes, understanding the motivation of your character sand preparing to direct your actors performances
- ⇀ Preproduction: Finalising remaining details such as: Locations, Extras, Props, Wardrobe, Set dressing
In addition to preparing to shoot, we will invite the core cast (actors) to attend a rehearsal session.This session will focus on assisting the actors in their preparation for the shoot and expose you to working with actors.
SECTION THREE: PRODUCTION “THE SHOOT”
Saturday 13th November : 8am – 5pm
THE SHOOT: Day One: 9 Hour Shooting Day:
Film Shoots are on Location: Locations can be a shop or hotel or park or any variable of a film location. This is a very exciting day where one is on a real shoot and real film
The Film Shoot Day 1–On Location.
Today you will work as a crew member. Every person revolves through the crew roles over the 3 shooting days.
Revolving Crew roles you will take on:
- Focus Puller
- Sound Recordist
- Production Runner/
Tuesday 16th November 6.30 pm – 9.30pm Edit Session
You will learn to edit and make your film into a film by actually editing in class the film. You learn to edit the movie, on Adobe Premiere Pro.
We currently have a video tutorial series of 11 tutorials, only available to people on the 4 Month Filmmaking Course. One must use these tutorials with the editing course lessons and the footage from the film. This way you will edit the entire short film. Editing a short film takes time and enthusiasm to complete outside of class time.
Therefore it is voluntary section of the course and also the edit itself is a voluntary to complete.
Allow 20 – 30 voluntary hours over a month, to complete an edit outside of course time.
Please note that editing is a great skill to learn and there is so much work in the film and video business for talented editors. It also pays well.
You will need a Laptop or Desktop computer with a minimum of 8GB of Ram and the Adobe Premiere Pro Software available from Adobe.
Course content for the night:
- Review of shooting Day One.
- Adobe Premier Pro Set up
- How to prepare your Edit
- How to sync sound
- How to watch your footage
- How to edit a scene.
Saturday 2oth November 8am – 6pm THE SHOOT: DAY TWO :
On Location: Set location – TBA Teacher: Sean Smith
⇀ Your second day working as a crew member on a real film.
⇀ Crew roles continue to rotate over the 3 shooting days.
Sunday 21st November 8am – 6pm Shoot Day 3
THE SHOOT: Day Three
Today the Crew shoot on their own on Day 3. Your last day working as a crew member on the film. Crew roles continue to rotate for the final shoot day, but the crew will be running this shoot almost completely solo. This is 100% hands-on practical and everyone is required to help make the film.
THURSDAY 25th November : 6.30pm – 9.30pm – Film editing Session 2
Continue to learn how to cut and make your film
- Learn today how to cut scenes for your film
- Learn how to effectively tell your story
- Everyone will learn via actually editing your film in the class live on Adobe Premier Pro.
- You learn by actually editing.
The Edit Challenge – 3 Weeks Challenge
Edit the Film using our 10 Session Tutorials on Adobe Premier Pro over the next three weeks
Thursday 9th December 2021 6.30pm – 9.30pm: Film editing Session 3
- Music for your film and how to get the best music easily and cheaply
- Colouring your film and making it look great.
- On this session you learn about the importance of Sound and how you can do your own sound design clean up and mix.
SCREENING YOUR FILM , CERTIFICATES & FUTURE DIRECTIONS
Thursday 16th December 2021 6.30pm till late
:80 hours completed
Teacher and Owner of AFB: Colm O’Murchu
6:30 8:30pm: Final Session
In this final class, veteran filmmaker Colm O’Murchu will take you through the essentials of being a filmmaker and how to take your passion beyond this course, including:
⇀ Making your next film
⇀ Where to from here?
⇀ Film financing & Film festivals.