Thank you For Your Melbourne Film Course Fee Request
The Price Email will arrive in your inbox in about 5 Minutes with the Prices and Course Fees and Payment Plans and How to Enrol.
- Please White List the following email email@example.com
- The Price email will arrive in less than 5 minutes. Sometimes Gmai will place the email in promotions or junk, so please check there.
- If the Email does not arrive , please email directly on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or Phone toll free on 1800131166 (office hours)
While waiting please see the Dates and Times of Each Sessions below and Course Content Session by Session
Melbourne Course Content Times & Dates - Session by Session
4 Month Film Course Starts Thursday 9th September 2021 6.30pm - 9.30pm Phone 1800131166
At the end of 4 Months, you will have worked on and created a 10 – 12 minute movie
Thursday 9th September 2021 – 6.30pm – 9.30pm
- Introductions of the People on the Course and Teachers
- The Film Production and the excitement of producing and making the film.
- 4 Months From tonight to completion of the Film.
- How to format a script – this is an essential so as to present a professional script, when you make your own films
- Which Software to use and how to get it for Free saving you $200
- How to become good at writing screenplays and what you have to do
- The Film Shots and what they are called – this is essential for the Film Director to understand.
Thursday 16th September 2021 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Creating the story: completed
Story Invention Workshop. In this session we create the Story for the Film Production. The teacher will show you exactly how to create a story that grabs your audience.
⇀ Story Ideas Brainstorm
⇀ Plot the story-the key plot points
⇀ We demonstrate how to write a short film using the Improv Technique ⇀
⇀ Three Dimensional Character Creation
⇀ High Stakes Objectives
⇀ Adding Conflict to your story
Result: By 9.30pm we will have developed an eight to ten minute short film story.
Voluntary Homework: Write the first draft script of the story.
Over the years we have found the results of the above techniques have produced a strong short film story for emerging or beginner filmmakers.
After class drinks Social at a local venue (Allow $5 for a drink). This is voluntary and intended to help the group bond and allow you to talk film with your new team!
Tuesday 21st September : 6.30pm – 9.30pm
In this session everyone will be introduced to the mechanics of a film scene and film equipment. You will use the camera to shoot a scene, getting to feel how it works and what is needed for a Professional Shoot.
- ⇀ The dynamics of a scene. Shots & coverage, crew setup, the ‘Master Shot’ and directingyour actors.
- ⇀ Introduction to the’calls’ of a professional film crew
- ⇀ Camera Equipment: Play with the 3K Blackmagic URSA mini Camera with Professional Rig including
- ⇀ Matte Box and A-B Hard Stop Follow Focus and lenses.
- ⇀ Lighting Equipment: Lights, Gels, Spun Reflectors and Scrims
- ⇀ Professional Sound Equipment: Lapel Microphone, Shotgun Microphone with Boom Pole and Pistol Grip
- ⇀Result: By the end of the session, you will have a foundation for using film equipment and how to use it to shoot a scene.
Tuesday 28th September 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Camera Department Basics: 12 hours completed Location:
Tonight you will learn how to operate a Professional Camera and be part of a Camera Department, including:
⇀ Camera basics (AFEW-Aperture, Focus, Exposure, White Balance) ⇀ How to balance a Fluid Head Tripod
⇀ How to focus effectively using Focus Chart and pull focus
⇀ How to check exposure⇀ How to compose/frame your shots
⇀ Camera movement: Tilt & Pan using a tripod
⇀ Camera movement: Handheld with a shoulder rig
⇀ When to use Prime Lenses and when to use Zoom Lens. The Session will end with Shooting an Interview with 3 different Camera Shot
Tuesday 5th October 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Teacher: Sean Smith as always unless otherwise outlined
6.30pm 7.30pm Script selection & Casting setup
At the start of class the successful script will be announced. From here we will discuss the characters in the script and set up a casting call.
⇀ How to set up a casting call:
⇀ We show you how we get the best Actors into the Casting session
7.30pm 9.30pm Sound Department
The Sound Session: Learning how to use Professional Sound Equipment on location, including: ⇀ Sound basics
⇀ Shotgun Microphone & Boompole
⇀ Wind Sock
⇀ Wireless Transmitters and Receivers with Lapel Microphones
⇀ XLR Inputs on the Camera
⇀ Setting the right sound levels and monitor in sound on set
The Session ends with shooting a scene focusing on correctly recording sound, including static subject dialogue and moving subjects
Tuesday Night 12th October 6.30pm – 9.30pm
The Lighting Session: Learning how to use professional lighting and gaffer equipment to light your scenes.
⇀ Basics of film lighting (3,2,1 point lighting and effects)
⇀ Lighting for exposure vs lighting for mood & effect
⇀ Using natural light
⇀ Lighting with set lights: Dedolights, Fresnels, LEDs and Redheads
⇀ Using Gels& Diffusion with lights
We will experiment with lighting different scenes trying to create different looks and moods just by changing the lighting setup.
PRE PRODUCTION – PREPARING THE SHOOT FOR THE COURSE MOVIE
Tuesday 19th October: 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Casting Night: Live auditions with real actors. Tonight we have a real live Casting with real actors. You will get to:
- ⇀ Learn the process of casting actors professionally
- ⇀ Set up the Lights and Camera for casting.
- ⇀ Camera operators will be rotated throughout the night
- ⇀ Actors should be scheduled for 10minutes lots
- ⇀ You will direct the actors during their audition, assisting them to provide their best performance.
Result: You will learn how to cast a film effectively by doing it for real for your short film. This is a favourite session for many students as it is the first opportunity in the course to direct actors and see the characters come to life.
Tuesday 26th October : 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Preproduction: Tonight you will learn all about preproduction for a film shoot and locking in the final logistical and production elements to ensure a successful shoot. Shoot location sourcing, selection and finalisation
⇀ Wardrobe, props and set dressing
⇀ How to prepare a schedule and a Call Sheet
⇀ Working with actors and how to provide effective direction
⇀ Confirm actors are booked for rehearsal session
Saturday 30th October 10am – 3pm Practical Saturday
Being set ready & rehearsals:
This is a Saturday session designed to give you further practice with the camera, lighting and sound equipment to ensure you are “set-ready” and the crew works as a well oiled machine.
Tuesday 2nd November 6.30pm – 9.30pm
- ⇀ Final Shoot Preparations; How to prepare for shooting.
- ⇀ Direct or preparation: Shot listing and story boarding
- ⇀ Director preparation: Learning your scenes, understanding the motivation of your character sand preparing to direct your actors performances
- ⇀ Preproduction: Finalising remaining details such as: Locations, Extras, Props, Wardrobe, Set dressing
In addition to preparing to shoot, we will invite the core cast (actors) to attend a rehearsal session.This session will focus on assisting the actors in their preparation for the shoot and expose you to working with actors.
SECTION THREE: PRODUCTION “THE SHOOT”
Saturday 6th November : 8am – 5pm
THE SHOOT: Day One: 9 Hour Shooting Day:
Film Shoots are on Location: Locations can be a shop or hotel or park or any variable of a film location. This is a very exciting day where one is on a real shoot and real film
The Film Shoot Day 1–On Location.
Today you will work as a crew member. Every person revolves through the crew roles over the 3 shooting days.
Revolving Crew roles you will take on:
- Focus Puller
- Sound Recordist
- Production Runner/ A
Learn to Edit on Adobe Premiere Pro
Tuesday 9th November 6.30 pm – 9.30pm Edit Session
You will learn to edit and make your film into a film by actually editing in class the film. You learn to edit the movie, on Adobe Premiere Pro.
We currently have a video tutorial series of 11 tutorials, only available to people on the 4 Month Filmmaking Course. One must use these tutorials with the editing course lessons and the footage from the film. This way you will edit the entire short film. Editing a short film takes time and enthusiasm to complete outside of class time.
Therefore it is voluntary section of the course and also the edit itself is a voluntary to complete.
Allow 20 – 30 voluntary hours over a month, to complete an edit outside of course time.
Please note that editing is a great skill to learn and there is so much work in the film and video business for talented editors. It also pays well.
You will need a Laptop or Desktop computer with a minimum of 8GB of Ram and the Adobe Premiere Pro Software available from Adobe.
Course content for the night:
- Review of shooting Day One.
- Adobe Premier Pro Set up
- How to prepare your Edit
- How to sync sound
- How to watch your footage
- How to edit a scene.
Saturday 13th November 8am – 6pm THE SHOOT: DAY TWO :
On Location: Set location – TBA Teacher: Sean Smith
⇀ Your second day working as a crew member on a real film.
⇀ Crew roles continue to rotate over the 3 shooting days.
Sunday 14th November 8am – 6pm Shoot Day 3
THE SHOOT: Day Three
Today the Crew shoot on their own on Day 3. Your last day working as a crew member on the film. Crew roles continue to rotate for the final shoot day, but the crew will be running this shoot almost completely solo. This is 100% hands-on practical and everyone is required to help make the film.
Tuesday 23rd November : 6.30pm – 9.30pm – Film editing Session 2
Continue to learn how to cut and make your film
- Learn today how to cut scenes for your film
- Learn how to effectively tell your story
- Everyone will learn via actually editing your film in the class live on Adobe Premier Pro.
- You learn by actually editing.
The Edit Challenge – 3 Weeks Challenge
Edit the Film using our 10 Session Tutorials on Adobe Premier Pro over the next three weeks
Tuesday 7th December 2021 6.30pm – 9.30pm: Film editing Session 3
- Music for your film and how to get the best music easily and cheaply
- Colouring your film and making it look great.
- On this session you learn about the importance of Sound and how you can do your own sound design clean up and mix.
SCREENING YOUR FILM , CERTIFICATES & FUTURE DIRECTIONS
Thursday 16th December 2021 6.30pm till late
:80 hours completed
Teacher and Owner of AFB: Colm O’Murchu
6:30 8:30pm: Final Session
In this final class, veteran filmmaker Colm O’Murchu will take you through the essentials of being a filmmaker and how to take your passion beyond this course, including:
⇀ Making your next film
⇀ Where to from here?
⇀ Film financing & Film festivals.
At the end of 4 Months, you will have worked on and created a 10 – 12 minute movie
- We teach you, step by step, the process of scripting shooting casting and crewing and directing a 10 minute short film.
- You will also learn to edit and colour, source your music and finish your film professionally.
- You will learn the technical side of filmmaking, how to operate cameras and record professional location sound.
- You will know exactly what to do, to make your own personal film professionally, that will attract film festivals and will make you into a Film Director and Producer
- You will have ongoing support from Australian Film Base with after film course support, gear supply and shoot help and work opportunities.
AFTER THE FOUR MONTH FILM SCHOOL COMPLETES, SUPPORT STRUCTURES ARE AS FOLLOWS
- Indie Film Club Meetings after 4 Month Film Course to network and find new film projects
- Numerous Film Productions that mushroom from Indie Film Club and Courses
- Opportunities at Australian Film Base
- Personal Coaching – one on one to help you achieve your goals. ( Please inquire)
The Film Instructors - Taught by Filmmakers for Future Film Directors and Producers
Colm founded Australian Film Base in 1997 and has since taught emerging film makers to make professional films. Colm has guided and instructed over the years on 175 short films made With a wealth of film teaching and film making experience Colm O’Murchu is one of the very best film instructors.
Sean Smith is a fanatical Film Maker. His communication skills and teaching skills are of the highest calibre. He is currently in production on his own feature film. He teaches most of the course in Melbourne
The Film Instructors Taught by Filmmakers for Future Film Directors and Producers
Colm founded Australian Film Base in 1997 and has since taught emerging filmmakers to make professional films. Colm has guided and instructed over the years on 175 short films made. His new film Tabernacle 101 has just been released theatrically in the USA and ia available on Amazon Prime, Google Play and Apple TV. With a wealth of film teaching and film making experience Colm O’Murchu is one of the very best film instructors. Main Focus: Casting & Directing
Greg Woodland is a fanatical Filmmaker. His communication skills and teaching skills are of the highest caliber.As writer/director Greg’s films and documentaries have screened nationally and internationally at over 60 film festivals & many TV channels. Greg has lectured in Scriptwriting at Macquarie University, UTS, NIDA, and AFTRS. His script editing credits include feature films ‘Moon Rock for Monday’, ‘Don’t Tell’, ‘Needle’, ‘Cold Turkey’, ‘The Bet’, ‘Broken’ Teaches Screenwriting and Producing
John has worked in the film, television and music industry for the last 25 years,and is a member of the Australian Screen Sound Guild. He worked for Channel 9 for ten years sound posting many of the TV shows and promos you see on TV. During his work in Television he also collaborated with a number of short and feature filmmakers, as a sound and dialogue editor, sound designer, sound supervisor and sound mixer. This has culminated in over 20 national and international award winning short and feature films to date. Main Focus Sound Postproduction
Jack is a highly experienced cinematographer. He has worked on countless short films helping filmmakers make exceptional films. He has a detailed knowledge of the technical aspect of shooting movies. He takes the technical classes in Sydney. Main Focus Cinematography.