Sydney Course Content Times & Dates - Session by Session
4 Month Film Course Starts Tuesday June 22nd 6.30pm - 9.30pm - Phone 1800131166
At the end of 4 Months, you will have worked on and created a 10 – 12 minute movie
Tuesday Night – 22nd June 2021 – 6.30pm – 9.30pm Screenplay Specialist – Greg Woodland
Story Invention Workshop: In this session we create the Story for the Film Production. We show you exactly how to create a story that grabs the audience.
Learn How to write a great story & screenplay:
- How to get ideas for a story
- Story generating exercises
- Working from character
- Building conflict
- Using scene outlines
Thursday Night 24th June 6.30pm – 9.30pm
- Scene outline exercise – writing a scene
- Working with Improvisation
- Creating a story concept –
- Working in pairs to come up with a short film concept
- Choose the best story –
- Voluntary homework: write a scene outline for a short film based on the chosen concept.
Tuesday Night – 29th June 2021– 6.30pm – 9.30pm – Camera Training
How to use professional Cameras with Cinematographer Jack Kelly and Scott Jacobs .
You will learn how to operate a Professional Camera and shoot a scene
- All Professional Film Equipment will be on site and you will work with it.
- Tour of Camera Equipment and Lenses and Tripod
- Black Magic Camera and Lenses and Tripod
- Prime lenses – 13mm – 28 mm 36 mm 70 mm
- How to balance a Fluid Head Tripod
- How to focus effectively using a Focus Chart
- How to get the best F Stop
- How to frame a shot beautifully
- How to pan and tilt
The Session will end with shooting a 30 second scene with 3 different Camera Shots.
Tuesday Night – 6th July– 6.30pm – 9.30pm Screenplay Specialist Greg Woodland
- Feedback on best scene outline (feedback given to others over the last few days)
- Formatting your script – using Writer Duet free software to professionally format a script
- Setting up a Casting using StarNow – placing an ad for your film
- Voluntary Homework – write a 7-10 page screenplay based on the chosen outline.
- Best script chosen – submit scripts by deadline that Greg Sets and script is chosen 3 Days later
Tuesday Night 13th July 2021 Using Professional Location Sound Equipment and Lighting Jack Kelly and Scott Jacobs
- Using the Professional Sound Recorder.
- The Shotgun Microphone – The Wind Sock – The Foam Sock
- The Pistol Grip – The Boom Pole
- Wireless Transmitters and Receivers – Lapel Microphones
- Setting the right sound levels – How to record top class Professional Sound
LIGHTING You learn to use all of the Lighting and Gaffer Equipment
- The Film Lights: Dedos
- Redheads x 6
- Gels – Spun – Reflectors
- How to do three point lighting on a film set.
- The last 45 minutes – Shoot a demo 30 second scene.
Friday 16th July 6pm – 9pm – Screenplay Workshop
Script Workshop For Scriptwriters who have written a script – Greg Woodland
- Review of Chosen Screenplay
- In class editing, cutting, polishing
- Workshop to make the screenplay better.
Thursday Night 22nd July 6.30pm – 10pm – Screenplay Final Screenplay Specialist – Greg Woodland
- Final review and reading of script
- Writing dialogue – text and subtext
- Editing exercise, in pairs
- Writing big print (action description) – using examples from famous screenplays
- Exercise – writing big print from live action (student acts out a scene which all students write as big print)
- Writing IS Rewriting – don’t hate the rewrites.
- Workshop a scene from chosen script – Writers to finish out of class.
Tuesday Night 3rd August – 6.pm – 9.30pm Casting Night with Film Director – Colm O’Murchu
Casting Night – Real Live Auditions with Real Actors – Fun
- Work on the Casting of Actors
- Set up the Lights and Camera and operate them
- Use the Lapel Microphone on the actors auditioning
- Every 10 minutes an actor is scheduled for the casting
- Course participants get to direct the actors in the casting
- Aprox 25 actors will attend
You will learn an invaluable skill. You will know how to cast a film effectively by doing it for real. This is a favourite session, as one learns how to pick the best actors from the audition.
Tuesday Night 10th August 6.30pm – 9.30pm Production Management One – Part One – Prepare the Movie Shoot – Scott Jacobs
As we are only 2.5 weeks from Shoot, Day One of your movie, the focus is now on how to produce the 10-minute film by actually producing it.
Producer Preparation –
- Casting Finalisation – Final cast chosen: 30 minutes
- The Shoot Schedule – The Script shall be broken down and set into 3 Shooting Days.
- Locations – How to lock down final locations
- Location Scouting & Negotiation.
The Trial Shoot 7.40pm – 9.30pm To go through the shoot organisation , we will shoot a one page scene from a Hollywood Movie with two actors on site. This will be a fun exercise that will prepare you for the 3 days of shooting.
Tuesday Night – 17th August 2021 – 6.30pm – 9.30pm – Directing Actors. – The Full Breakdown Colm O’Murchu.
With only 10 Days left to the big 3 Day Shoot, tonight’s focus is firmly placed on working with actors.Production Design on a Budget.
- Actor Blocking and how it will determine the shot list.
- Top 10 Tips for working with actors on set.
- How to direct Actors effectively when you are starting out.
Part Two Rehearsals with the actual actors cast for the film.
Actors for the Short film will arrive at 7.30pm
- Costumes for the actors finalised.
- Rehearsals with the actors How to rehearse
- Learn by rehearsing with the Actors
Tuesday Night 24th August 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Final Shoot Preparations:
Ready Steady Go. All Final Preparations for the Shoot: Scott Jacobs
Tonight you will complete all the final preparations and the preproduction for the movie that you will shoot.
- Final Schedule organised.
- Final checklist for the following – Locations – Crew – Production Design
- Equipment Set Up.
- Call Sheets and how they are prepared
- The Essential Crew – Itemised Director, DOP , Focus Puller, Clapper, Sound Recordist, Boom Swinger, Gaffer x 2, Grips , Continuity Production Co-ordinator.
- Rotations for the Shoot organised
The Three Day Film Shoot – On Real Location Learn how to shoot a Movie by doing it for real.
Saturday 28th August 8am – 6pm On Location: Shoot Day One
You will direct a scene and you will work as a crew member on a real film with real actors on real locations. Every person revolves through the 10 Person Crew roles over the three shooting days. A designated time is allotted for each crew role. This will be from the film script you developed and the actors you cast.
Director & Crew Roles for the Film Shoot that you will do:
- Focus Puller
- Sound Recordist
- Boom Swinger
- Make up
Tuesday Night – 31st August 6.30pm – 9.30pm Shoot Review and Preparation for Weekend Two Edit Session One
- Review of shooting Day One.
- Prepare Shoot Day 2 & 3
Hour Two and Three
- Adobe Premier Pro Set up Preparation for Start of Post Production
- How to Data Manage your Footage
- How to sync your audio and video
- Prepare to edit
- Watch Rushes
Saturday 4th September – 8am – 6pm : Shoot Day Two On Location
Today you will work as a crew member, as a Director and as a DOP on a real film. Every person revolves through the 10 Person Crew roles over the three shooting days. A designated time is allotted for each crew role. This is 100% hands-on practical.
Director & Crew Roles for the Film Shoot that you will do:
- Focus Puller
- Sound Recordist
- Boom Swinger
- Make up
Shoot Day Three – Sunday 5th September 8am – 6pm
The Film Shoot on location
Today the Crew shoot on their own. You will work as a crew member on a real film. Every person revolves through the 10 Person Crew roles over the three shooting days. A designated time is allotted for each crew role. This is 100% hands-on practical.
The Three Week challenge: Edit the entire Short Film 10 minutes long Voluntary
Tuesday Night 14th September – 6.30pm – 9.30pm Edit Class Two Learn How to Edit your Film. Tim Maine
You learn to edit the movie, on Adobe Premiere Pro.
We currently have a video tutorial series of 11 tutorials, only available to people on the 4 Month Filmmaking Course. One must use these tutorials with the editing course lessons and the footage from the film. This way you will edit the entire short film.
Editing a short film takes time and enthusiasm to complete outside of class time. Therefore it is voluntary section of the course and also the edit itself is a voluntary to complete.
Allow 20 – 30 voluntary hours over a month, to complete an edit outside of course time.
Please note that editing is a great skill to learn and there is so much work in the film and video business for talented editors. It also pays well.
Focus here for opportunity.
You will need a Laptop or Desktop computer with a minimum of 8GB of Ram and the Adobe Premiere Pro Software available from Adobe.
You learn to edit the movie, on Adobe Premier Pro. Editing continues on the film.
You will learn how a film is edited and how to make the film look and sound professional.
- Edit the film
- How to edit the material into a complete scene
- You actually edit the film on Adobe Premiere Pro
Please note that editing and colouring is a very valuable skill to learn. There is plenty of work for very good editors in the film business. Postproduction has the most jobs
Tuesday 21st September 2020 6.30pm – 9.30pm Colm O’Murchu Film Career and Opportunity
After your short Film is complete, how do you find the audience and how do you find work in the film business.
- Film Festivals and your strategy for entering
- What is the best site for Film Festivals
- Earning money on Stock Video Sites
- Where is the work in the film industry
- Your plan for getting work in the film industry
- Film Markets and how feature films are sold and make money.
Tuesday Night 5th October – 6.30pm – 9.30pm Edit Night Three Finish the post on the film.
- Colouring the film to make the film look great.
- Music and how to use Stock Sites to source your music.
- Adding music to your film
- Credits and Titles
- Preparing for Sound Mix
- Exporting your final Film.
Sound Post Saturday 16th October 10am – 4pm John Hresc in his Sound Studio
Sound Post and Music mix Session with one of Australia’s great Sound mixers and designers
This session takes place at John’s studio in Redfern This is what makes the difference between a good film and a great film and will make the difference between success and not succeeding.
Friday Night 22nd October 6 pm – 10pm The Final Night Celebration: Screening of the complete finished film and Certificates
- Future Opportunities
- Screening of the Finished Completed Film
- 4 MonthFilm Making Certificate” Presentation.
- Photos of group.
- Social Mixer and Celebration
At the end of 4 Months, you will have worked on and created a 10 – 12 minute movie that will be seen on Online Film Channels
- We teach you, step by step, the process of scripting shooting casting and crewing and directing a 10 minute short film.
- You will also learn to edit and colour, source your music and finish your film professionally.
- You will learn the technical side of filmmaking, how to operate cameras and record professional location sound.
- You will know exactly what to do, to make your own personal film professionally, that will attract film festivals and will make you into a Film Director and Producer
- You will have ongoing support from Australian Film Base with after film course support, gear supply and shoot help with Scoot Jacobs
AFTER THE FOUR MONTH FILM SCHOOL COMPLETES, SUPPORT STRUCTURES ARE AS FOLLOWS
- Indie Film Club Meetings after 4 Month Film Course to network and find new film projects. 3 Per Year
- Numerous Film Productions that mushroom from Indie Film Club and the Film Course
- Personal Coaching – one on one to help you achieve your goals. ( Please inquire)
BOOKINGS —> 1800131166 Or Email: email@example.com
4 MONTH Filmmaking Course Price Request
You will receive the following by email immediately.
- Sydney 4 Month Filmmaking Course Fees / Prices
- Film Course Content, Session by Session
- Times and Dates for Each Session
- How to Enrol Information and as soon as you are ready.
Regent Street Chippendale. (Near Central Train Station)
Phone Inquires 1800131166
10am – 7pm Monday- Friday
The Film Instructors Taught by Filmmakers for Future Film Directors and Producers
Colm founded Australian Film Base in 1997 and has since taught emerging filmmakers to make professional films. Colm has guided and instructed over the years on 175 short films made. His new film Tabernacle 101 has just been released theatrically in the USA and ia available on Amazon Prime, Google Play and Apple TV. With a wealth of film teaching and film making experience Colm O’Murchu is one of the very best film instructors. Main Focus: Casting & Directing
Greg Woodland is a fanatical Filmmaker. His communication skills and teaching skills are of the highest caliber.As writer/director Greg’s films and documentaries have screened nationally and internationally at over 60 film festivals & many TV channels. Greg has lectured in Scriptwriting at Macquarie University, UTS, NIDA, and AFTRS. His script editing credits include feature films ‘Moon Rock for Monday’, ‘Don’t Tell’, ‘Needle’, ‘Cold Turkey’, ‘The Bet’, ‘Broken’ Teaches Screenwriting and Producing
John has worked in the film, television and music industry for the last 25 years,and is a member of the Australian Screen Sound Guild. He worked for Channel 9 for ten years sound posting many of the TV shows and promos you see on TV. During his work in Television he also collaborated with a number of short and feature filmmakers, as a sound and dialogue editor, sound designer, sound supervisor and sound mixer. This has culminated in over 20 national and international award winning short and feature films to date. Main Focus Sound Postproduction
Jack is a highly experienced cinematographer. He has worked on countless short films helping filmmakers make exceptional films. He has a detailed knowledge of the technical aspect of shooting movies. He takes the technical classes in Sydney. Main Focus Cinematography.