Melbourne Times Dates & Content
4 Month Film Course Starts Tuesday 27th October 2020 Melbourne
Bookings – Ph 1800 13116
or Email email@example.com
Location AFB- Fitzroy Street, St Kilda.
Tuesday 27th October 2020 – 6.30pm – 9.30pm
- Introductions of the People on the Course and the Teacher
- The Film Production and the excitement of producing and making the film.
- 4 Months From tonight to completion of the Film.
- How to format a script – this is an essential so as to present a professional script, when you make your own films
- Which Software to use and how to get it for Free saving you $200
- How to become good at writing screenplays and what you have to do
- The Film Shots and what they are called – this is essential for the Film Director to understand.
Saturday 31st October 2020 9.30am – 12.30pm
Teacher – Sean Smith for all following sessions unless stated otherwise.
Creating the story: completed
Story Invention Workshop. In this session we create the Story for the Film Production. The teacher will show you exactly how to create a story that grabs your audience.
⇀ Story Ideas Brainstorm
⇀ Plot the story-the key plot points
⇀ We demonstrate how to write a short film using the Improv Technique ⇀
⇀ Three Dimensional Character Creation
⇀ High Stakes Objectives
⇀ Adding Conflict to your story
Result: By 9.30pm we will have developed an eight to ten minute short film story.
Voluntary Homework: Write the first draft script of the story.
Over the years we have found the results of the above techniques have produced a strong short film story for emerging or beginner filmmakers.
After class drinks Social at a local venue (Allow $5 for a drink). This is voluntary and intended to help the group bond and allow you to talk film with your new team!
Tuesday 3rd November : 6.30pm – 9.30pm
In this session everyone will be introduced to the mechanics of a film scene and film equipment. You will use the camera to shoot a scene, getting to feel how it works and what is needed for a Professional Shoot.
- ⇀ The dynamics of a scene. Shots & coverage, crew setup, the ‘Master Shot’ and directingyour actors.
- ⇀ Introduction to the’calls’ of a professional film crew
- ⇀ Camera Equipment: Play with the 3K Blackmagic URSA mini Camera with Professional Rig including
- ⇀ Matte Box and A-B Hard Stop Follow Focus and lenses.
- ⇀ Lighting Equipment: Lights, Gels, Spun Reflectors and Scrims
- ⇀ Professional Sound Equipment: Lapel Microphone, Shotgun Microphone with Boom Pole and Pistol Grip
- ⇀Result: By the end of the session, you will have a foundation for using film equipment and how to use it to shoot a scene.
Thursday Night 5th November : 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Camera Department Basics: 12 hours completed Location:
Tonight you will learn how to operate a Professional Camera and be part of a Camera Department, including:
⇀ Camera basics (AFEW-Aperture, Focus, Exposure, White Balance) ⇀ How to balance a Fluid Head Tripod
⇀ How to focus effectively using Focus Chart and pull focus
⇀ How to check exposure⇀ How to compose/frame your shots
⇀ Camera movement: Tilt & Pan using a tripod
⇀ Camera movement: Handheld with a shoulder rig
⇀ When to use Prime Lenses and when to use Zoom Lens. The Session will end with Shooting an Interview with 3 different Camera Shot
Saturday 7th November 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Teacher: Sean Smith as always unless otherwise outlined
6.30pm 7.30pm Script selection & Casting setup
At the start of class the successful script will be announced. From here we will discuss the characters in the script and set up a casting call.
⇀ How to set up a casting call:
⇀ We show you how we get the best Actors into the Casting session
7.30pm 9.30pm Sound Department
The Sound Session: Learning how to use Professional Sound Equipment on location, including: ⇀ Sound basics
⇀ Shotgun Microphone & Boompole
⇀ Wind Sock
⇀ Wireless Transmitters and Receivers with Lapel Microphones
⇀ XLR Inputs on the Camera
⇀ Setting the right sound levels and monitor in sound on set
The Session ends with shooting a scene focusing on correctly recording sound, including static subject dialogue and moving subjects.
Tuesday Night 10th November 6.30pm – 9.30pm
The Lighting Session: Learning how to use professional lighting and gaffer equipment to light your scenes.
⇀ Basics of film lighting (3,2,1 point lighting and effects)
⇀ Lighting for exposure vs lighting for mood & effect
⇀ Using natural light
⇀ Lighting with set lights: Dedolights, Fresnels, LEDs and Redheads
⇀ Using Gels& Diffusion with lights
We will experiment with lighting different scenes trying to create different looks and moods just by changing the lighting setup.
PRE PRODUCTION – PREPARING THE SHOOT FOR THE COURSE MOVIE
Thursday Night 12th November: 6.30pm – 10.00pm
Casting Night: Live auditions with real actors. Tonight we have a real live Casting with real actors. You will get to:
- ⇀ Learn the process of casting actors professionally
- ⇀ Set up the Lights and Camera for casting.
- ⇀ Camera operators will be rotated throughout the night
- ⇀ Actors should be scheduled for 10minutes lots
- ⇀ You will direct the actors during their audition, assisting them to provide their best performance.
Result: You will learn how to cast a film effectively by doing it for real for your short film. This is a favourite session for many students as it is the first opportunity in the course to direct actors and see the characters come to life.
Thursday 19th November : 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Preproduction: Tonight you will learn all about preproduction for a film shoot and locking in the final logistical and production elements to ensure a successful shoot. Shoot location sourcing, selection and finalisation
⇀ Wardrobe, props and set dressing
⇀ How to prepare a schedule and a Call Sheet
⇀ Working with actors and how to provide effective direction
⇀ Confirm actors are booked for rehearsal session
Saturday 21st November 10am – 3pm Practical Saturday
Being set ready & rehearsals:
This is a Saturday session designed to give you further practice with the camera, lighting and sound equipment to ensure you are “set-ready” and the crew works as a well oiled machine.
Tuesday 24th November 6.30pm – 9.30pm
- ⇀ Final Shoot Preparations; How to prepare for shooting.
- ⇀ Direct or preparation: Shot listing and story boarding
- ⇀ Director preparation: Learning your scenes, understanding the motivation of your character sand preparing to direct your actors performances
- ⇀ Preproduction: Finalising remaining details such as: Locations, Extras, Props, Wardrobe, Set dressing
In addition to preparing to shoot, we will invite the core cast (actors) to attend a rehearsal session.This session will focus on assisting the actors in their preparation for the shoot and expose you to working with actors.
SECTION THREE: PRODUCTION “THE SHOOT
Saturday 28 th November : 8am – 5pm
THE SHOOT: Day One: 9 Hour Shooting Day:
Film Shoots are on Location: Locations can be a shop or hotel or park or any variable of a film location. This is a very exciting day where one is on a real shoot and real film . Teacher Sean Smith
The Film Shoot Day 1–On Location.
Today you will work as a crew member. Every person revolves through the crew roles over the 3 shooting days.
Revolving Crew roles you will take on:
- Focus Puller
- Sound Recordist
- Production Runner/ A
Learn to Edit on Adobe Premiere Pro
Tuesday 1st December 6.30 pm – 9.30pm Edit Session
You will learn to edit and make your film into a film by actually editing in class the film
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- How to prepare your Edit
- How to sync sound
- How to watch your footage
- How to edit a scene.
Saturday 5th December : 8am – 6pm THE SHOOT: DAY TWO :
On Location: Set location – TBA Teacher: Sean Smith
⇀ Your second day working as a crew member on a real film.
⇀ Crew roles continue to rotate over the 3 shooting days.
Sunday 6th December 8am – 6pm Shoot Day 3
THE SHOOT: Day Three
Today the Crew shoot on their own on Day 3. Your last day working as a crew member on the film. Crew roles continue to rotate for the final shoot day, but the crew will be running this shoot almost completely solo. This is 100% hands-on practical and everyone is required to help make the film.
Thursday 10th December : 6.30pm – 9.30pm – Film editing Session 2
Continue to learn how to cut and make your film
- Learn today how to cut scenes for your film
- Learn how to effectively tell your story
- Everyone will learn via actually editing your film in the class live on Adobe Premier Pro.
- You learn by actually editing.
Thursday 17th December 6.30pm – 9.30pm: Film editing Session 3
- Music for your film and how to get the best music easily and cheaply
- Colouring your film and making it look great.
- On this session you learn about the importance of Sound and how you can do your own sound design clean up and mix.
SCREENING YOUR FILM , CERTIFICATES & FUTURE DIRECTIONS
Monday December 21st 6.30pm till late
Location change Teacher Change Colm O’Murchu: 80 hours completed
Loop Project Space & Bar, 23 Meyers Place Melbourne
Teacher and Owner of AFB: C olm O’Murchu
6:30 8:30pm: Final Session
In this final class, veteran filmmaker Colm O’Murchu will take you through the essentials of being a filmmaker and how to take your passion beyond this course, including:
⇀ Making your next film
⇀ Where to from here?
⇀ Film financing & Film festivals.
4 Month Film Course Price Request
You will receive the following by Email immediately
- Melbourne 4 Month Film Course Fees / Prices
- 4 Month Film Course Content, Session by Session
- Melbourne Times and Dates for Each Session Over 4 Months
- How to enrol Page
Your email is secure with us.
Melbourne Starts Tuesday 27th October 2020 – Fitzroy Street St Kilda
10am – 7pm Monday- Friday
Colm founded Australian Film Base in 1997 and has since taught emerging film makers to make professional films. Colm has guided and instructed over the years on 175 short films made With a wealth of film teaching and film making experience Colm O’Murchu is one of the very best film instructors.
Sean Smith is a fanatical Film Maker. His communication skills and teaching skills are of the highest calibre. He is currently in production on his own feature film. He teaches most of the course in Melbourne